This is one of our favourite recipes from our blogger friend Ikhlas Hussain. We have made this recipe a few times and it is always so tasty that it leaves us with tears of joy. This white sauce recipe will have you forget the Fettuccine Alfredo you get at restaurants. This is one of the things we enjoy eating at iftaar. It’s an ooey gooey pasta that is super satisfying after a long day of fasting.
The first time we made it we followed the recipe exactly (pictured above). The second time around we added sautéed vegetables (green bell pepper, mushrooms and onions) and crushed red pepper flakes and skipped the cheese (pictured below), which we thought turned out great.
Here is the recipe from Ikhlas’ website:
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 a 250g package of cream cheese, cut into cubes and softened
- 1/2 cup of cheese (we skipped this)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Italian seasoning
- Pasta of your choice
- (we added) Sautéed vegetetables (mushrooms, onions, green bell pepper)
- (we added) Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Frozen shrimp
- Start by boiling your water for the pasta. In a large saucepan, fry up the garlic in a bit of butter. Then dump in your can of soup, giving it a good mix to make less clumpy. Feel free to use a whisk to break up the consistency a bit.
- Add the softened, cubed cream cheese, and again, stir well to ensure that the mixture is smooth. Pour in the chicken brother soon after, and mix well to ensure that there’s no clumps or lumps.
- Add salt, pepper, spices, and Italian seasoning to taste. Turn the heat down to ensure that your sauce doesn’t burn. Once the mixture is smooth, add most of the cheese, reserving a bit.
- Drain pasta and toss into the sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and serve warm.
- (Additional step) In a frying pan, heat a bit of oil and add 1/2 tsp of chopped garlic. Once the oil is heated, add the frozen shrimp. As the shrimp start to cook, add salt and crushed red pepper flakes to taste. Take out the cook shrimp and add to the saucepan with the pasta and sauce.
- (Additional step) In the same frying pan that you used to cook shrimp, add in chopped onion, mushrooms and green bell peppers. Sautée and season to taste. Add the sautéed vegetables to the pasta and sauce mixture.