Our favourite blogger, Ikhlas Hussain of the Whimsical Whims of Ikhlas Hussain, is our go-to person for easy, delicious recipes. We have tried countless recipes from her blog, both sweet and savoury, and have always been pleased with the results. The best thing is that her recipes call for ingredients you normally have at home. You may remember our Chicken Pot Pie post, which was also a recipe by Ikhlas.
We recently tried her recipe for Chicken in Mushroom Cream Sauce and it turned out incredible! Our favourite part was the sauce. It was so good that next time we may just skip the chicken altogether and just make the sauce and toss it with pasta. Yum!
- 2 lbs boneless chicken, cut into small chunks
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp crushed chili peppers
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- mushrooms, sliced
- Marinate the chicken with lemon juice, salt, and crushed chili peppers. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Lightly toss chicken chunks in flour until completely coated. Heat oil in a medium skillet and cook chicken chunks until golden and crispy on each side, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Once butter is light brown in colour, add flour and whisk well. Add chicken broth and mushrooms. Let cook for a few minutes and then add milk, salt, and pepper and turn down heat. Add cheese and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a flat baking dish, add cooked chicken and pour sauce on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and hot. Serve warm over rice or pasta.
Recipe by Ikhlas Hussain