Chipotle is one of those rare eateries that everyone in our family likes. We have been to Chipotle many times now and always find the food fresh, healthy and delicious. The funny thing is that we always get the same item: The vegetarian burrito bowl.
The vegetarian burrito bowl has:
- cilantro-lime rice (choice of white rice or brown rice)
- black beans or pinto beans
- grilled vegetables
- sour cream
- cheese (made with a vegetable-based rennet)
- guacamole (extra charge)
Please note: The meat is NOT halal.
The servers wear gloves when handling the food which is great. You can ask them to put on a new pair of gloves if you want. From right to left, there is chunky salsa, hot salsa (which is server is getting), mild salsa behind it, corn, sour cream and cheese.
The best part is that you get to customize your bowl. So if you don’t want salsa, you don’t have to get it. Don’t like sour cream? Skip it. The food always tastes fresh and wholesome. We particularly like the combination of warm and cold in the bowl: the grilled vegetables are warm but the sour cream is cold. It’s a wonderful combination in our mouths!
Just to reiterate ourselves, the meat is NOT halal at Chipotle. We always stick to vegetarian options. Their cheese is vegetarian based (according to their website) which is awesome. Please note that the pinto beans used to be seasoned with bacon but are NOW VEGETARIAN. Please see below for details.
The vegetarian burrito bowl is $8.95 and with taxes it comes to around $10. On first glance the quantity of food might not look like a lot but it’s quite filling.
We have visited Chipotle locations in Toronto, New York City and Buffalo and find the food to be consistently good. In Buffalo, they served the food on stainless steel platters and had lemon wedges to go along with the food, which we thought was a great touch.
We usually go to the Yorkdale Mall location of Chipotle and have recommended it to many friends Here are some of the complaints we have gotten so far:
– They don’t fill up your bowl enough. They will not automatically add corn, lettuce and some of the other toppings to your bowl even though it’s included in the price so you need to ask for it. They will only put one kind of salsa for you but you can ask them to put all the different kinds if you want. We usually get the hot salsa (like a paste) and mild salsa (chunky!).
– It’s very hard placing the order at Yorkdale. The Yorkdale Mall food court is crazy busy and it’s sometimes difficult to place your order. It is likely that the servers will not hear your order correctly so you need to keep an eye on what’s going in your bowl.
So the next time you’re in mood for vegetarian food and want something with a bit of a kick, try the vegetarian options at Chipotle Mexican Grill.
Addendum: Pinto beans are now vegetarian. Our reader Irfan emailed Chipotle and confirmed this in November 2013. Please see the response from Chipotle below:
“Thanks for writing in to us today! Our pinto beans are indeed free of bacon or pork products. We made the switch to vegetarian pinto beans earlier this year. You’re right, the site should be updated, and I will be forwarding this to our IT specialists to ensure we get this right. Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention.
Customer Service Consultant
Chipotle Mexican Grill”